Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Grow Up


OK.  I admit that I am old. In just seven days I will be 59 (December 10th to be exact...hint hint). 

When I was a child, I lived in a world where there were only black and white televisions with three whole channels to choose from, no microwaves, no computers, no cell phones, no tablets (except the kind you could write on and then tear out the page), no energy drinks.  After I was married, my wife and I did get a video game called "Pong" (look it up).  There was no YouTube or Facebook.  We had a party line in our home (look it up) so we had to share the phone line with another family.  In my house, the only room that was air conditioned was my parent's room.  I lived in Florida where the average temperature was 98 degrees in the Summer.  I don't ever remember complaining about how hot it was.  

If we wanted to have a conversation with a friend, we made a visit or a phone call.  If we had a disagreement with someone we had two choices:  we could talk to each other or we could talk about one other to everyone else. But unless we made the effort, most of our other friends didn't know about the problems I had with one particular friend or another.

Fast-forward 50 years.   All those things I didn't have as a child are taken for granted today.  Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Vines are the way we share our lives today.  Technology has also provided a way of advancing the Gospel that has never been seen before but it is also fraught with problems. For example, when we have a random thought, instead of going to our best friend or to God and talking about it or praying about it, we automatically "post" it for all the world to see.  I get that. 

If you are a Christian and you are an active member of a local body of faith, then the problems you have with members of that body are between you, that person (or persons) and God.  I know the default is to go straight to Facebook (Do not pass Go, Do not collect $200.00-look it up) and post it.  But come on, is that really a good way to edify the body of Christ by airing your dirty laundry for all the world to see?

Think about it this way.  You have at your fingertips the ability to promote the kind of faith that is needed by a lost and dying world.   Your thoughts and ideas can travel around the world at the speed of light.  Because of that, we need to temper what we say, but more importantly, to whom we say it.

OK So I have 450+ friends.  If I get mad at Steve, a member of my church (He's my buddy so he can handle the analogy) and I post my thoughts on Facebook and mention that he is a member of my church, I feel better.  But now 450+ people know I am angry or hurt with Steve, a member of my church.  Every time one of my friends posts a comment to help me feel better, every one of their friends also see my comments and the comments of the friend. (I think this is the way it works).  Pretty soon, people all over the world know I have a beef with Steve.  But the second and third order effect of that is they also know that there is a problem with the people of my church.  Now the problem originally between me and Steve is also a reflection of my church.  One of my friends, who was looking for a church to attend, is having serious doubts about visiting MY church because he knows there is disunity there.  

You see the point?

We need to GROW UP!  If you have a problem with someone, the last thing you need to do is to POST THAT INFO ON FACEBOOK.  You have a responsibility to go directly to that person and reason it out.  That is the Biblical method for handling disputes.

GROW UP -- Before I have to smack you around a little bit. (See the cartoon above for the context of that last comment.)


Your loving Pastor,

Dave

1 comment: