Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Guilty of Murder?

 
     Last night, I listened as the prosecutors for the case against Michael Jackson's doctor played an eerie audio tape of the pop star himself sounding very drunk.  Jackson's doctor, Conrad Murray wept as he listened to his former client speaking.  Murray has been charged with manslaughter for administering an anesthetic drug to Jackson to help him sleep.  The drug was the cause of the pop star's death.
 
     I found it ironic that he wept.  Perhaps he is experiencing remorse for his actions. That is not a bad thing.  What I find more ironic is that we seldom display any remorse for our actions.

     OK, admittedly we have not been charged with the death of someone...or have we?  Isaiah 53:5 says, "But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." 

       We are all indicted in the murder.  And if we get what we deserve, we will face the penalty for our crime.  But God has provided a way to avoid the penalty.  Interestingly, the solution to our problem is found in the one against whom we have committed our crime -- Jesus. 

     You see, while it was our sins that put him on the cross, is is because he died on the cross that we can have hope.  2 Corinthians 5:21 says, "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."   The words "We might become"  leaves us with a choice:  We can accept or reject the offer he makes.  It is totally up to us...the prosecution is offering us a deal -- an offer we can't refuse...it is totally up to us.

     All we have to do is:

A - Admit that we're sinners, repent and turn from our sins
B - Believe that Jesus is God's Son and that he came into the world to save everyone.
C - Confess that Jesus is your Savior and Lord.

Here is a sample prayer:
Dear God, I admit I am a sinner in need of you. Please forgive me of my sins and give me abundant life here on earth and eternal life with you in heaven. I believe Jesus died and rose again for my sins. I confess Jesus as Lord and Savior of my life. Thank you for saving me.
In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment